The kitchen is often considered the most important room in the home, especially around the holidays. It’s where the family meets, eats and even entertains. But when your kitchen counters are covered with appliances, spices and utensils, working or entertaining comfortably can be a tall order. Use these five ideas to better organize kitchen storage space.
1. Creative Cabinetry — Underutilized spaces, such as counter ends and corners, are ideal for adding storage. Everyone knows about Lazy Susans, but what about corner or curved drawers?
2. Spice Storage — Whether you show them off or tuck them away in a drawer, there are better ways to store spices than sitting them on the kitchen counter. Stick them to the refrigerator using magnets or make your own spice rack out of a wooden pallet.
3. Wall Hangings — While many households limit pegboard use to the garage, Julia Child, the undisputed queen of the kitchen, used them for storing cooking utensils. Pegboards have the advantage of being inexpensive as well as trendy.
4. Knife Placement — The traditional wooden block keeps your knives contained, but it also takes up valuable counter space. Consider adding a magnetic strip to hold your knives or installing a slim knife drawer under your cabinets.
5. Dish Display — If you found that perfect ceramic platter while on vacation or you have an expensive set of china from the wedding that you rarely use, don’t waste cabinet space hiding them away. Instead, add display shelves and show off those conversation pieces.
If you need help designing your new kitchen give us call. We are a full service interior remodeling and renovation company that specializes in residential kitchens and bathrooms.